Friday, January 20, 2012

Stitching with Okuda San and Tatsuma and snow in the news

My neighbors came over to stitch with me again.  This time, we worked on a tissue cover from a Marion Scoular pattern. Little tissue packets are given away here as advertising, so I thought this would be a useful project.  Marion gave this little instruction booklet with twelve blackwork patterns to each of the seminar participants at the San Francisco EGA national seminar. It uses a 6”x7 ½” piece of hardanger and floss or perle cotton.

Tatsuma played with some little trucks and swept my floor with the little wisk broom for awhile, but he really wanted to be doing what we were doing – stitching.


They brought me this beautiful little box of Japanese sweets from Kyoto, where they had gone for the New Year holiday. Arigato gozaimasu.


Japanese class
I went to Japanese class last night.  It was fun; the other people were very friendly and helpful.  The class has been going since October so I have a lot of catching up to do!  I’m sure I’ll be writing more about Japanese class in the future.

News reports about the snow

A friend in North Carolina sent Ted an email saying WRAL in Raleigh commented about the record snowfall in Hokkaido.

This link comes from our friend Jimmy at the Indian Restaurant and says the snow couldn’t be measured because the measuring instruments were damaged by the snow! http://english.ntdtv.com/ntdtv_en/news_asia/2012-01-17/record-snow-sweeps-japan.html#facebook

Another American in Hokkaido sent us this link to BBC video showing some pictures of shoveling out  and saying Iwamizawa got 87 inches of snow from Sunday – Monday! http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/16599168

Yes, we’ve had a lot of snow here.

No comments: