Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Ted's Secret Recipe

People here are always surprised to find out that Ted does the cooking at our house.  For the most part, it seems like women in Japan cook. There are a few things that I know how to cook, but I hate to cook.  I’d just as soon eat cereal, even cereal without milk, than to cook.  Ted prefers not to eat cereal.

The fish is Hokkaido is good and not too expensive, so we eat fish often. I think this is salmon, but since I don’t read Japanese, I can’t be sure. This amount of fish (two servings) is about 300 yen. Here is the way Ted makes it.  First he puts it in a bowl with soy sauce and garlic and leaves it in the refrigerator for an hour or so.


I don’t know how this would work in a big US oven with a temperature regulator, so these directions are for little Japanese gas ovens. Put a little bit of water in the bottom of the oven so that the fish doesn’t dry out, then put the fish on the wire rack.


The fire/heat comes from the sides, so put the fish toward the outside and turn it after about 4 minutes.


Let it cook another few minutes with some shitake mushrooms, if you like them. It’s good to eat with a bowl of rice and vegetables.


Oishii desu. (Remember to pull out the fish water tray and clean it after dinner or it will be disgusting when you pull it out to make toast the next morning!)


No comments: