Thursday, December 12, 2013

End of the Year Lunch with the Conversation Ladies

We’ve been getting quite a bit of snow where I live, which isn’t unusual for this time of year.  I think we live in the snowiest place in all of Hokkaido.  The surprising thing is that just a short distance away, in Sapporo, there is no snow!
Wearing my boots, I met my English conversation ladies in Sapporo, where I didn’t need boots, for a nice end of the year lunch.  They took me to a wonderful sushi restaurant that I never would have found on my own.  It’s on the third floor of a building on a side street.  There is a sign, but it is in kanji.  It’s a small place where you sit at a counter with the sushi makers right in front of you.
 
 
 
 

The meal started with a custard with a few vegetables in it and a clear soup with mussels, followed by sushi made right there and placed on a long leaf, and ending with green tea ice cream.
 
 
 
 
 

After lunch, we went to a coffee shop and had coffee that was both beautiful and delicious.
 
 

They practice their English conversation skills and I learn about many different things!

3 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

What a lovely treat! Sushi in Hokkaido must be very delicious. I have a prefessional chef friend who said working in Hokkaido is a bit boring - the ingredients are so good in themselves you don't need to do a lot of 'cooking'!!!
Isn't it nice with the open kitchen type of restaurants where you can see the chefs at work?
I didn't know there are such geographical difference in where the snow falls in your area. Difficult to choose foot wear, I bet!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful lunch! The ice cream is very appealing.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful lunch! The ice cream is very appealing.