Sunday, June 1, 2014

Twelve Months to the Double Nickel - June Edition

This month I want to eat less processed foods and eat more fresh and raw foods.  Ted is gone on a lot of field and conference trips this time of year.  When I’m left to preparing meals for myself, I end up eating cereal and peanut butter because I hate to cook.  I’m going to try to do better.

(This is also Ted's birthday month - celebrations often involve food.)

How am I doing on my first five months?  I didn’t do so well with exercise in May, but I’m getting back on track.  Cutting back on coffee was a lot easier than I thought.  I started out drinking two cups in the morning.  Some days I only drank one cup in the morning, “saving” my second cup in case I wanted coffee later in day, then not having a second cup.  A few days I didn’t drink any coffee. 

3 comments:

Margaret said...

Well done on your Double Nickel programme. I love cooking so your target for this month would be fun for me! As I recall, Japanese supermarkets had lots of precooked foods -such as squash packaged in single servings so perhaps you could explore those?

Queeniepatch said...

I agree with Margaret. You can BUY a lot of 'home cooked' food in supermarkets. They often have a kitchen where they prepare spinach and sesame, spicy burdock root, various salads and cold noodels with broth. This will be more expensive than cooking yourself, but it will leave you will more time for embroidery, and still help you eat healthy food. Good luck with your new goal.
Good to hear you have successfully reduced your coffee intake.

Beth in IL said...

I am glad I am not the only stitcher concerned about her eating habits. I love to cook which is my downfall. Your cutting back on coffee made me smile. Several years ago I was drinking at least 8 (strong) cups a day. I wondered why I couldn't sleep and had the jitters. I drink two a day, at most and I sometimes have a cup of decaf at night. My problem now is that I discovered iced coffee and how to make it.