On the first day of class, we went out in the drizzly rain with two angles of white paper to find things to sketch.
I’m not so good with sketching, but I did my best. Here’s what I ended up with (don’t laugh!)
Next we used markers to draw our pencil sketches in color (again, don’t laugh!)
We ironed these marker drawings onto fabric and started stitching over the drawing.
Our next project involved dissolvable stuff. I still have a lot to do on mine – it involves orange ribbon, with beads to be added.
Another thing we did was scribble on tissue paper and wad it up and wet it, then tear it up and stitch it to fabric.
After that we stitched on this horticulture covering stuff, then used a heat gun to dissolve away the stuff, leaving only the stitching. I really like this.
After that we stitched on some burlap, ironed some gold leaf on top, then stitched some more on it.
We did another little thing stitching on top of stitches in different directions.
Here are my samples after two days of experimentation.
My classroom at the American Museum -
It was an interesting class!