Sunday, January 17, 2016

Island Onsens

Day 7 of the Kumano Kodo Trip  

I had finished the big hike the day before and I was feeling very good about hiking 70+ hard kilometers in five days. The hike was over but not the adventure. After another big breakfast (and another morning without coffee), I was ready to take another look at Nachi San.  

Every morning, I asked Kohi arimasu ka? and the answer was Nai. (Is there coffee?  No.) I like green tea, but I really like a cup of coffee in the morning.  I saw this little coffee shop on my way back up the hill and paid 350 yen for a cup of coffee.  That's a normal price for a cup of coffee in Japan, but I am so cheap, I don't often order coffee out. 



I really enjoyed my cup of coffee, then I took a few more photos at Nachi san. 



From here I caught the local bus to Kii-Katsura. There are many onsens here, but I was interested in going to Urashima, a hotel with seven onsens on an island.  The hotel was out of my price range, but for 1000 yen, I could use any/all of the onsens on the property for the day. The ferry going to and from the island was free. 



Cameras are not allowed in the onsens, but here is a poster in the train station. I loved the cave onsens at the water's edge with the waves splashing in. 

After returning to Kii-Katsura, I wandered around the fish market area, then went to the place I was staying the night.  Meals were not included here, but they did have a little shared kitchen area.  I bought something to eat at the konbini and ate in my room.  



That's all for this day.  Still more to come....

2 comments:

kiwikid said...

More interesting photos. Well done on walking so far.

Brigitte said...

Great pictures again. I love the ones from the waterfall.
These onsens must have been great after so much walking up and down the mountains.