Thursday, January 19, 2017

Public Transportation in Okinawa

The monorail in Okinawa, called the Yui Rail, runs from the Naha Airport to the Shuri-jo  castle area.  There are 15 stations about a kilometer apart and it takes about 1/2 an hour to go the entire distance. Each train has two cars, with 65 seats and a total capaity of 165 people.  The elevated track is between 8 and 20 meters above the ground. The top speed is 65 kph (about 40 mph) and the average speed is about  28 kph (about 17 mph) counting stops.


It's very convenient and reasonably priced.  Usually I buy the day pass or the two day pass - unlimited rides for 24 hours or 48 hours at a cost of 700 yen or 1200 yen. I took these photos while riding in the front seat.





Coming into a station.




Passing by a train going in the opposite direction.




I think this is where I get off.

4 comments:

kiwikid said...

I hope you had the right stop to get off at!! I have heard that public transport system in Japan is very good.

Anonymous said...

wow Pamela,amazing sights from the train,so many buildings,thankyou for sharing.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I grew up in a small town that had great bus transportation. When I moved to where I live now, I was surprised that there was no bus service at all. Now there are buses but I admit that I much prefer to drive where ever I go. If I lived in town, I would definitely walk more.
xx, Carol

Julierose said...

I used to take bus rides with my Grandparents in the summer evenings to cool off; the bus driver just opened all the windows and we so enjoyed the cooling breezes...at our first stop we would get an ice cream treat...a great memory...hugs, Julierose