Sunday, March 12, 2017

Kit Kat in Japan

I occasionally ate a Kit Kat bar in the USA.  They look like this:  



In Japan there have been more than 300 types of Kit Kats made since 2000.  Many are limited edition, seasonal, or regional flavors. At this link you can check out some of the flavors by clicking on the arrows to the right or left.  I've tried the macha flavor, but I don't think I've had any of the others.

Kit Kats are often used as a type of good luck charm for students taking entrance exams because of the similarity of the name Kit Kat to the Japanese phrase Kitto Kattsu, which means "you will surely win".


8 comments:

kiwikid said...

Interesting use of the Kit Kat bar!!

Janie said...

That's something I didn't know! I went to the Kit Kat link and saw the 'Chocolatory' Kit Kat varieties, how deluxe.
Thanks for sharing.

Rachel said...

I love trying Japan's Kitkats. Whenever my friend is in Japan, she scouts out new flavors to bring home :)

My favorite is the sakura flavor they have in the spring.

I love how Japan has seasonal items throughout the year while the US only has them for holidays and not seasons.

I hope you are feeling better :)

Lin said...

Goodness - we were impressed to find dark chocolate KitKat's in Spain but I had no idea there were all these other flavours around. xx

Queeniepatch said...

Wow! I didn't know that Kit Kat was a good luck charm for students! Thank you for sharing this.
Macha or green tea, and wasabi (the hot peppery 'horse radish' used for sushi) are both green and those flavors are packed in green packages. That has made some people buy the wrong flavor and get an unpleasant surprise!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I had no idea there were different flavors of Kit Kat in different countries! They are a staple at my house. I would love to try the Green Tea flavor.

xx, Carol

D1-D2 said...

I love kit kats from Japan. The green tea one is AMAZING

Leonore Winterer said...

I'm kind of obsessed with Japanese treats lately, so this post goes right down my alley...I hope I get to try some of those varieties one day (I have subscribed to a Japanese surprise treat box, so maybe the will show up). I love the macha kitkat, and recently I had some Tahato cookies with macha which were soo delcious...why don't thy make more macha treats over here?