Saturday, March 18, 2017

The Alphabet Club - T

My Japanese "T" word is Temari - beautiful thread covered balls.  Here is a description of Temari from temari.com: 



A thousand year old craft from Japan, Temari is traditionally given as a gift. From humble beginnings as simple toy balls for children's play, Temari create a magnetic effect on viewers today. As a spectacular decorating focal point, the puzzle of the design is mesmerizing. The concept is elegantly simple, the end result is simply elegant!


Temari. com has a how-to lesson the website, if you are interested.


I would like to really learn to do this!  I made one small beginner ball and started another that is still unfinished.  Maybe someday....



Linking up with Chiara at The Grey Tail.


8 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

Tamara balls are highly decorative. I have never made one, but feel tempted to try... Time, where is the time? I hope you will find the opportunity to complete these balls.

Janie said...

Temari balls look like a fun opportunity for design explorations, have fun Pamela.

NADINE said...

Indeed, they are fascinating... Your beginnings are looking so promising, hope you'll complete them, some day !

XOXOXO

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Seems so sad to have such a pretty ball and not complete it. I think I would need a hands on class to make one of these.
xx, Carol

kiwikid said...

They are beautiful Pamela, looking forward to seeing yours finished.

Brigitte said...

That's a great craft and I have seen Temari balls on some blogs already. You made a great start on them.

Leonore Winterer said...

Those are so pretty...I think I'll have to look at that how-to, and add those to my every growing 'to try' list :D

Wendy said...

they are fabulous. I bought a second-hand book a few years ago, then when I was at an embroidery workshop recently, they were advertising a class. Unfortunately I can't make the date, so I've put my name down for when they re-run it. I imagine it uses a lot of thread.