Friday, December 1, 2017

Top Dog Names in Japan in 2017

I am very interested in names, both of people and pets.  The top ten names for dogs in Japan in 2017 have been revealed. 


First, the top names for boy dogs:


1. Kotaro - second year at number one and a popular name for humans also.
2. Koro
3. Choco (“Chocolate”)
4 (tie). Cookie – this name is making its debut on the list for the first time this year.
4 (tie). Crea (short for “create”)
4 (tie). Leo
4 (tie). Leon
8 (tie). Taro – this name is making its debut on the list for the first time this year.
8 (tie). Maron (“Chestnut”)
10. Lucky – this name is making its debut on the list for the first time this year.

Now, the top ten girl dog names:

1. Momo (“Peach”)
2. Sakura
2 (tie). Choco
2 (tie). Hana (“Flower”)
5. Nana (“Seven”)
6 (tie). Maron
6 (tie). Mocha
8 (tie). Kurumi (“Walnut”)
8 (tie). Koko
8 (tie). Runa (“Luna”)

And, the top ten for all dogs:

1. Choco
2 (tie). Momo
2 (tie). Kotaro
4. Maron
5. Koro
6 (tie). Sakura
6 (tie). Hana
8. Mocha
9. Nana
10 (tie). Adzuki (“Red Beans”)
10 (tie). Sora (“Sky”)

Do you have a dog?  What is his or her name?  If you don't have a dog, what would you name him or her if you did?  If I could have a pet, I'd like to have a cat.  If I had a girl dog, I'd name her Hana.



10 comments:

Vireya said...

My dogs generally have short (one syllable), unimaginative (descriptive) names. I currently have Dot, who has a dot on her forehead, and Jack, who is a jack russell. My two previous dogs were Scruff (self-explanatory) and Merle (who had merle colouring).

My sister, on the other hand, has named all her dogs after famous people. So she has had a Shakespeare, a Chopin, a Rembrandt, and a Wilberforce, among others.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pamela how interesting,no we dont own any pets as we want to travel.
if i had a dog it would be a girl and i would name her for her charactor or colourings xx

Queeniepatch said...

The feline member of our household is called Mimi (ear) as she has a cut in one of her ears. She was rescued from starvation in the gutter, and the injury is probably from a fight.

Mia said...

Hi Pamela. Cookie is an ordinary name for dogs in Greece, too. I do not have a dog, but I have a canary. Kisses, my friend.

Magiczny Świat Krzyżyków said...

W Polsce dość popularny jest Azor. Moje dwa psy nosiły imiona Daisy i Kesi. Kot mojej mamy ma na imię Miśka i to bardzo popularne imię wśód kotów.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Pet names are funny. How in the world do people choose their pet's names.

Corey brought the Boxer home and named him Tyson. I wanted a black one so he could name him Ali. Go figure...both boxers are black.

Boscoe is brown..I wanted a brown name so I called him Boscoe after the milk mix my mother used when I was small.

Corey's girlfriend named the Min Pin Harley because they had just bought a Harley Motorcycle.

The guy next door named all three of his Pit Bulls after car models..Nitro, Cuda and I forget the other.
xx, Carol

Murphy said...

I live in Connecticut and have two dachshunds, Heidi and Brownie. Heidi is a very popular name for female dachshunds. My sister has a Labrador named Sage and my sister in law has a corgi mix named Amber.

Very popular name for dogs in the US: Bailey. If you go to a dog park you will absolutely find a Labrador named Bailey.

Janie said...

If I had a dog it would be a girl and I would name her for my friend's sweet little girl, Sadie.

kiwikid said...

Interesting lists of names. We have a Chowchow, his name is Tupai, which is a Maori word for happy. Our previous chow was Puku, Maori for stomach. 😅

Leonore Winterer said...

A lot of those dog names are edible! I thought it was the Chinese that ate dogs, not the Japanese (just kidding, don't worry ;) )