Sunday, May 27, 2018

Shibori Museum in Arimatsu

I originally planned to visit this museum and take the shibori class over a year ago, but that was when I broke my arm, so I had to cancel.  You have to make a reservation ahead of time, but you can do it online and in English here.  The first floor of the museum is a showroom, the second floor is the museum and classroom areas.  The sales clerk spoke English, but the Shibori teachers, well, not so much. I chose to make a "table center".  The class involves stitching and tying. The teachers thread the big sharp needles and have them all ready to go. They do the dyeing after the class and mail it to you later.










After the class, I took my time looking around the museum.





















If you are in the Nagoya area, I highly recommend the musuem and the class! 


I have already received my table top piece in the mail.  It looked like this when I pulled it out of the envelope.  



After taking out the stitches, it looked like this.  



I followed the instructions and rinsed in cool water and let it dry, but did not iron.  



I like it!



8 comments:

Vireya said...

Very nice result for your workshop! And some beautiful pieces in the museum.

rosey175 said...

Beautiful result! I'm curious what the other options were besides the lovely table center. Did all table centers have the same design or did you get to choose that as well? This is such a wonderful museum experience!

Lin said...

What a fascinating place to visit - it is amazing the range of designs that can be made this way. I love your table topper, simple and stylish. xx

roughterrain crane said...

Good job! I love indigo blue, too.

Queeniepatch said...

I have always admired the beauty of shibori dyeing and the puckered look of the drawn work.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Cool post!! I love your piece. I am always blown away by Japanese needlework. Those little stumpwork pictures are too cool. I love the Japanese knack for the whimsical too.
xx, Carol

Leonore Winterer said...

That's a very cool technique...the museum part was very interesting, I love the miniatures. And just imagine how much work it must be to dye a whole kimono like this, yet alone the lion and leopard!

Julie said...

So beautiful, what a great class.
I've seen this on a TV documentary showing the kimono fabrics and the many years the seamstresses go through to be able to make the wonderful fabrics and their intricate patterns.