Thursday, August 30, 2018

Kuranda Scenic Railway

I bought a package ticket for the day which included being picked up at my hotel at 7:30 am and driven to the Freshwater Station, the scenic train trip to Kuranda, bus transportation to RainForeStation Nature Park (visiting the Koala and Wildlife Park and the Amphibious Army Duck Tour through the rainforest), bus transportation to the SkyRail, the SkyRail to the Smithfield Station, and transportation back to my hotel.  It was a full, fun day!  


The station was very charming and old fashioned looking. I thought it was well done for a tourist site.






The two hour train trip was through the World Heritage-listed rainforest of the Barron Gorge National Park, ending in the mountain village of Kuranda. The train travels through 15 hand-made tunnels and 21 bridges.  The railway originally opened in 1891.  Up to 1500 men at a time carved the mountain with hand picks, shovels, and dynamite to construct the 37 kilometers of track.






I was excited to see these kangaroos from the train window as we traveled along. (The train was moving and far away, so it's hard to see).



There was a horseshoe curve and I could see the front of the train from my window in car 10.






This is a glimpse of going into one of the tunnels.



Here is another view of the front of the train, this time crossing the bridge.  The train slowed down as we passed this waterfall so everyone could take pictures.






The train stopped at Barron Falls Station (not really a station, but a look out place) so everyone could get off to see the falls and the gorge.







The end of our train ride was the Kuranda Station, which was just as charming as the Freshwater Station.








From here, I was off to explore the village of Kuranda.  I'll be back another day with more of the story.



10 comments:

Beth in IL said...

Love your photos! We love train rides and this looks like fun.

Queeniepatch said...

Your camera must have been on all the time!

Vireya said...

I love the Kuranda station, with its lush tropical plants. And fantastic that your saw some kangaroos!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pamela wow what an amazing journey,such pretty spots,do you miss Australia ,thankyou for sharing my friend xx

Jeanie said...

I love being on a train. This one looks very handsome. The "scenic journey" is well named!

Lin said...

I do love a railway journey - this one looks very special. xx

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

OMGosh, it's a trip of a lifetime. I'm so happy for you to be there. You have shared the most amazing pictures. I just have no words for the beauty.
xx, Carol

Mia said...

What a great experience, Pamela! As I live in Greece, I have never seen kangaroos! Kisses, my friend.

Janie said...

How exciting and beautiful! That's a treat to get a train ride and gorgeous scenery too.
Thanks for sharing your photos Pamela, I feel like I was there.

Leonore Winterer said...

That train looks like a great way to explore the rain forest. The water fall is beautiful.