Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Empress Michiko and Jeeves



A couple of weeks ago, in her birthday interview, Empress Michiko stated that she wanted to read the Jeeves books by P.G. Wodehouse after she retired. There are about 30 short stories and 11 novels in what is known as the Jeeves series. Since her interview and unintentional recommendation, thousands of Japanese have sought out the series at their bookstores and local publisher Kokusho stated their telephones would not stop ringing after the Empress spoke about the series. 


Have you read any of the Jeeves stories?  Which are your favorites?  I love them all!






9 comments:

kiwikid said...

The Empress has started something!! I haven't read any of these.

Pink Rose said...

Pamela I haven't heard of these ,but they look like good reading.

Vireya said...

I've read lots, but perhaps not all.

The 1990s TV version "Jeeves and Wooster" with Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie was very entertaining. Some bits are on YouTube if you haven't seen it.

Queeniepatch said...

I have read some, and have had others read to me - i.e. I have listened to the audio books. Some of them are dramatized. They are all Excellent!
I wish the Empress much pleasure with Jeeves.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I've never heard of the books. Bet there was a real run on those books!!
xx, Carol

Jeanie said...

I haven't read Wodehouse for years but this reminds me how much I like his work! I'll bet his publisher is thrilled!

Leonore Winterer said...

I haven't read any of them, but they look fun! I'm very into crime and mystery right now, so I'll add some to the list.

Leonore Winterer said...

Well, I just realized Jeeves is not at all the crime-solving butler I thought him to be - for some reason, I always think of crime novels with long running series like this! Still, I'd like to get to know him :D

Julie said...

I haven't read the books but have seen the TV series Vireya talks about. So funny!