Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Stitch Group Sunday

We met on Sunday for another great get together. Unfortunately, one stitcher wasn’t able to join us. 





We had an interesting discussion about American television shows in our youth. The start of the conversation was the Michael Jackson movie at the local Movix theater. That led to the songs of the Jackson 5 and the Osmond Brothers, then American shows that were broadcast in Japan. We were born around the 15 years post WWII, when Japan was transitioning from a war ruined nation to a rising economic power. They were watching Ben Casey, Lassie, Bewitched, and other shows I watched. Japanese people were seeing blond curly hair, beds, and people eating dinner at a high table with chairs, when they had straight black hair, slept on futons on the floor, and ate at low tables. I never thought of any of that before!




They are making wonderful progress on their gorgeous gardens.



Tea time - we had some great treats.






I took some of this home and it was all very good.




As a surprise, I was also sent home with a big tub of hand scooped mint chocolate chip ice cream!


4 comments:

  1. It was interesting to read about your TV viewing habits in the 1960's. The Japanese are often described as welcoming the American lifestyle with open arms. It was (still is?) different in Europe. Scandinavian countries would look to the UK for entertainment, culture, literature and sport.
    My parents bought our first TV set about 1962, and the only American show I can remember was The Lucy Show. What impressed me the most was Lucille Ball talking on the telephone while walking all over her spacious lounge. She carried the phone in one hand, and the very long telephone flex trailed behind her. Our phone had such a short line that it could hardly be moved at all.
    Yes, great progress has been made in all the gardens. I love the fact that they are so different and each stitcher is putting her own ideas to use.
    In spite of being one member short, you certainly had a lot of sweets to share. The chocolate mint ice cream looks very cool and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those TV programmmes must have been quite the culture shock! I loved Bewitched. The gardens are looking beautiful and the ice cream looks delicious - just what I need as we head into another heatwave. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you please identify some of the treats occasionally? Chocolates and cookies need no explanation, but some of the packaged items look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recall Bewitched but not the others as shows, but then I think Bewitched was on reruns on English TV when I saw it I recall Monkey Magic and the Flashing Blade at the same time.

    ReplyDelete