Last week, a 1.2 meter long pet monitor lizard was reported missing in Yokohama City. The owner, a man in his 60’s, returned home and the reptile was not in its cage.
The owner searched on his own for five days before he called the police, which prompted a police search with ten officers for days. After the pet lizard had been missing for a week, the owner called the police at 1:15 am, notifying the authorities that he had discovered the large lizard hiding in the bottom of a closet in his own apartment. This ended the long search and public alert.
I have heard of missing snakes or lizards several times since I’ve been in Japan. I don’t know if there are any rules about these pets. I live in a small apartment and I’d hate to think one of my neighbors’ pets escaped and could be hiding in mine.

He must have been embarrassed to have to tell the police that he found it in his own home!
ReplyDeleteI hope, nay, demand, that the man pays for every second of wasted police work and the pet is taken away from him, too.
ReplyDeleteNo taxpayer wants to pay for such a search, and no neighbour/landlord wants to have such a pet on the premises.
Oh dear, a friend of mine found a snake in her bathroom cupboard under the sink, it came from the people next door, was a pet they no longer wanted so they just put it outside!!! Luckily is was not a biting poisonous one!
ReplyDelete