Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Broken

I'm home from my trip.  The original plan was nine days in Naha, Okinawa, then a few days in Nagoya.  I had to cut out the Nagoya portion of my trip because on day 7 in Naha I fell and broke my right arm.  I know, I can't believe it either.  


I don't know if I tripped on the stone step going into my hotel, or if I stepped on the loop of my shoelace or what, but I hit the stone hard and fast.  My right knee and arm really hurt, so I asked for a bag of ice at the hotel desk and went up to my room. By the time I got there, my wrist and lower arm were already swelling.  I went back to the hotel desk and they called the hospital to tell them I was coming and a taxi to take me there.  I was at the hospital a long time, mostly waiting, but also to see the doctor, get x-rays, see the doctor again and have a cast put on from the heel of my hand to mid-way between my elbow and shoulder and have my knee bandaged.  The hospital in Naha made an appointment for me with an orthopedic doctor  at my local hospital for today and sent the x-rays and doctor's notes.   I'm really impressed with healthcare in Japan.  I've had to take advantage of it more than I like, but I have been taken care of very well. The total cost for the visit, x-rays, cast, sling, patching up my knee, and sending everything to my local hospital was 7850 yen, or about US$ 66.50.  


These are bad pictures, but they kind of show my injuries.

arm-mirror view

knee


At least it happened near the end of the trip.  I was still able to take some craft classes and go to the aquarium and do the fun things before this happened. I'll try to post about those things soon. It was pretty painful at first, but now it's just uncomfortable.  It's also very difficult to do things with just my left hand, like typing.   Some things, like braiding my hair or flossing my teeth, I can't do one handed.


Hopefully the doctor will have something good to tell me today.

12 comments:

Von said...

Oh no, Pamela, this is awful! I'm so sorry about the fall and your injuries! Take care of yourself!

:Diane said...

Horrid news. Have you seen floss thingies that look like a Capital F and have a thread between the crossbars? You could floss one-handed with them, I'm sure. Also, try out the speakers on your techie stuff. I find that the little symbol for a microphone on my smart phone allows me to send a text by simply speaking. So far it's pretty accurate. Maybe your ipad or phone has similar capabilities?
Diane

Margaret said...

Oh Pamela how dreadful. It is so hard to do things one handed too. I do hope your friends will come and help out. Medical care in Japan is good isn't it.

Crafty Tokyo Mama said...

Oh my goodness! My thoughts are with you. To break a bone while on a trip, and then at the holidays to boot, what terrible luck. I hope the doctor had good news for you today, too. Get well soon!!

Lin said...

Oh dear Pamela - what a shame! Spoilt your holiday and is making life difficult. Hoping the news from the Dr was positive. xx

Manuela said...

Oh, nein Pamela. Wie traurig. Ich hoffe, der Arzt hat gute Nachrichten für dich.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Oh geez! I'm so sorry to hear of your trip...pun, pun....Not laughing. That hospital visit here in the US would have been thousands...really. Diane had good suggestions on how to adapt to your limits and I'm sure you will think of more. Hopefully the healing process will be speedy.
xx, Carol

Queeniepatch said...

Oh, no! You have a habit of tripping on your trips! In spite of all the hardships I am glad to hear you got such excellent service from the hotel and hospital.
Get better soon!

Janie said...

Ouch! I'm sorry you got hurt, Pamela. I agree with Queenie, I'm glad that you got good care.
You're in my prayers for fast healing.

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh no, what a horrible way to end your trip! Still, hooray for the Japanese healthcare systen, and crossing my fingers that you'll be well again soon.

kiwikid said...

Oh dear! I am sorry to read this, but it sounds as though you have been well looked after Pamela, hope you can manage at home with your arm out of action. Hope the break heals quickly and your knee too.

chitra said...

very sorry to read this . wishing you a speedy recovery.