Friday, December 2, 2016

Heating My Apartment

I'm feeling quite pleased with myself and I'll tell you why in a minute.  


The weather in Shizuoka is quite different from the weather in Hokkaido. In Hokkaido, there was no need for an air conditioner because it never got hot enough to need one.  In the winter, it was very cold and snowy and we used a toyu stove to heat the apartment.  I wrote about it here



In my apartment here, I have a combination air conditioner and heater, called an air con.  When I moved in, it was set for the air conditioner mode, but recently it has been getting cooler at night.  I wanted some heat, but didn't know how to change from air conditioner to heat.  I couldn't read the Kanji on the remote control.  


Everything can be found on the internet!  I was able to find this and have now changed it to heat!  I just compared the kanji in the article with  the kanji on my remote.



It's a difficult world when you are illiterate, but I'm always happy when I can win over Kanji.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol well done Pamela,that was quite clever,very different heating to what we have here.

Margaret said...

Well done you! As you say it is difficult when you cannot read the kanji. Pleased you solved the problem. Do you find the air con expensive to run. I could never afford it when I lived in Tokyo and the summers were hard.

Queeniepatch said...

What a great feeling that is! You get all warm by beating the kanji! Enjoy the right temperature and humidity.

Brigitte said...

Not bad, Pamela, you just have to know where to find things, don't you?

D1-D2 said...

I remember when we were in Korea trying to wash our clothes and not able to figure out what the buttons were for. Isn't google amazing!?

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I had a unit similar to the Air Con in a small apartment I once had. You are so right about the internet. Whenever anything needs repair in the house or out of it I go to Google and low and behold the instructions magically appear..though I do have to sort through several sites to find it.
xx, Carol

Von said...

So glad you're staying warm! It's very clever of you to use the internet to solve your problem. My DH did the same last night to get our daughter's car going, lol!

kiwikid said...

Well done you!! What would we do without the internet!!