Thursday, April 27, 2017

While Out Walking

I live in a great place.  


There are many interesting things to see close by my apartment.  


I see many friendly and interesting people and they seem to notice me more than I probably know.  


My students will frequently tell me they saw me walking, wearing sunglasses. I have to laugh when they tell me that because I always wear sunglasses, not just the time they saw me.  



My neighbor usually walks in the morning and I pass him on my way to work.  He always has a big smile and greeting for me.  


Last week I saw an elderly woman I hadn't seen in awhile.  She said Yo Katta and pointed to my arm.  I waved it around and said Ima ii desu.  I guess I hadn't seen her since my arm was in a cast. 


I think people look out for me, too.  One morning I walked a different route to work to go to the convenience store to buy a drink.  A woman I often see out with her dog tried to point to my usual street.  Maybe she thought I was lost.  I pointed to the Lawson's and she smiled and said Wakarimashita.  


When I go to the hospital in the mornings, I pass by a school bus stop and see a man with his son.  After awhile, he asked me where I come from and we talk a bit each time I see him.  He is from Peru and has been here 20 years, married to a Japanese woman and working for a car repair place.  



I feel like I belong to this little community.

11 comments:

Pam said...

Thanks for letting us peek into a very pleasant look at your life.

Beth in IL said...

It is good to feel like you belong. I live in a small town and we seem to notice each other a bit more.

Jen L said...

Thank you for sharing. It has been a long time since I have been to Japan (after spending a summer). I enjoyed learning about your neighborhood.

Queeniepatch said...

It is because you have 'mixability' and is very approachable. You are open, warm and charming. I am so happy you like in a place with likeminded people.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pamela,i love this post ,sounds like a lovely place where you live,thankyou for sharing.x

kiwikid said...

How nice people look out for you, and are jnterested in you and your welfare. Mind you, you seem like a friendly person and I am sure smile and talk to them too. Your neighbourhood looks like a lovely place.

Janie said...

I enjoy your walks too, thanks for sharing.
I'll walk down to see the ocean today and look out west and think of you!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Nice post. I enjoy seeing the pictures of what you see in your neighborhood. I have been thinking of you a lot recently with all the tension our Republican president is causing in that region.
xx, Carol

Leonore Winterer said...

I'm glad you found such a lovely place to live. I like it when neighbors are looking out for each other, it doesn't happen that often around here.

Sheryl said...

interesting post, thank you for the glimse into your world.

Glenda said...

Dear Pam it is so nice to get to know and listen to you settling in to your new life, it reminds me of my own time settling in to Japan many many years ago, it's so nice when the locals start talking to you isn't it instead of been treated like a tourist. They are so kind and gentle they would love to talk to you but are to polite to invade your privacy but after a few years you will be one of the locals. I'm so enjoying your day to day life there. It's Also so nice of you to share your craft time to. Cheers Glenda