Friday, November 15, 2019

Walking Around the Colosseum

The Colosseum is an oval amphitheater built in the center of Rome between AD 72 and 80.  It is built of Travertine limestone, volcanic rock, and concrete.  It was the largest amphitheater of its time and held 50,000 to 80,000 spectators. In 2018, it was the most popular tourist attraction in the world, with 7.4 million visitors. I can understand why.
























This is a place I've read about and seen on television programs and in movies and I was happy I was able to see it up close. I'm amazed it is still standing after so many years.



8 comments:

jacaranda said...

An amazing structure built without today’s cranes etc. and a work of art.

SUWA said...

Rome is a great place!
Thanks your beautiful photos.

Pink Rose said...

Great pics Pamela xx

Vireya said...

Wonderful!
The Colosseum looks more beautiful in your photos than other pictures I have seen of it, so I did a search and found that there was major cleaning and restoration work completed in 2016. They did a great job.

Queeniepatch said...

Isn't it nice to actually visit something that is so well known from photographs and films? Were there still a lot of stray cats?

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Several years ago I remember that some of the old buildings were crumbling and Italy was looking for funds to repair them. I think the economy there has been in trouble in the recent past. I wonder if that is still true. Great pictures.
xx, Carol

Julie said...

You really did capture the beauty in your pictures.

Leonore Winterer said...

This one I really want to visit one day. It looks amazing for its age!