Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Sewing Machine Sales in Japan

With face masks in short supply in Japan this year because of the coronavirus, people have started making their own masks. As a result, sewing machine sales have sky rocketed. Companies are offering online instructions for making do-it-yourself masks. 


Brother Sales Ltd., based in Nagoya, saw a 30% rise in sewing machine orders in February and March compared with the previous year. Janome Sewing Machine Company, based in Tokyo, saw sales rise by 20% between March and early April compared with the previous year. The company representative said many customers bought entry-level machines costing 50,000 yen or less, but higher priced models at 100,000 yen or more are also selling well. 


I bought my entry-level Janome six years ago in Hokkaido and I have been very pleased with it.




7 comments:

diamondc said...

Pamela: I am so happy people are starting to sew again, I have a happy heart and hope they continue to experiment using there machine for other swing.
Love that beautiful pillow, did you make it? it is beautiful.
Stay Healthy

Catherine

Julie said...

I hope people continue to use their machines for future craft projects and learn new skills.

kiwikid said...

Interesting people are buying and using machines, I guess the virus and being at home is encouraging us 5o be a lot more resourceful.

Lin said...

Lets hope they use the machines for more than just masks! xx

Tomiyo said...

Your articles are pretty and beautiful. I made some masks and use them now. I’ m interested in your sawing machine. Mine is a bit old.

Jeanie said...

I'm glad you had your machine before the rush! I love that you can put your ornaments together. I have partially done needlepoint ornaments and such that will never be made because I don't know how to do it (or know people who can!)

Leonore Winterer said...

Thankfully, I have people more skilled than me helping me out with making masks. But I really should learn how to properly handly my sewing machine as well!