Sunday, October 9, 2022

Capital Punishment in Japan

Captital punishment in Japan always seems very secretive. I know there are people in prison awaiting execution, but I never hear or read about when the execution will happen, until after it happens. Japan's Code of Criminal Procedure stipulates that the death penalty should be implemented within six months of the issuing of the sentences, but that almost never happens. 



From 2000 to July 26, 2022, 98 death sentences have been carried out. Decisions about executions reflect the thoughts and feelings of the minister of justice.  The Japanese Ministry of Justice does not clarify the criteria on which the decision to execute a prisoner is based. It seems very secretive and mysterious. 


I'm from the United States, where the death penalty is legal in some but not all states. Personally, I have always been against the death penalty, no matter what the crime charged. The main reason is, that if a mistake is later found to be made, you can't bring the executed person back.  If you are interested in seeing what other countries in the world allow convicted criminals to be put to death, check out this Wikipedia page.



5 comments:

Vireya said...

This is surprising to me. I would have thought Japan would have been on the more enlightened side of the capital punishment issue!

kiwikid said...

This surprises me too, and that is it so secretive.

Jeanie said...

That secretive thing surprises me. I'm with you on the capital punishment. I can't quite thing of a case where I think that would be OK...

Leonore Winterer said...

15 in one year seems like a lot for a country like Japan! I'm surprised they stick to such a practice at all.

diamondc said...

Hi Pamela: In the USA the death penalty costs so much money, over a million dollars for each appeal that is filed, I am not against or for the death penalty, lifetime in prison is a death penalty in my eyes.
I hope you are having great weather it is getting cold now today in the mid-50s, brrrr.

Catherine