Thursday, January 12, 2023

Okinawa - Big Bird Observatory, Yambaru National Park

Looking from Hedo Point, you can see a big bird in the distance. I took several pictures, getting a closer views.





Between Hedo Point and the Bird Observatory is a beach, where I picked up some shells.



Looking back, I can see the previous lookout place on Hedo Point.



This map sign shows the big bird.




The wind, water, and waves were much calmer in this protected area. I was taken by surprise as I was shell hunting and the wave washed over my shoes though.






The bird is up a big hill and a long set of stairs. The first view of it is the backside.




You can climb up inside the bird and look out.  There are bars on the windows for safety.







This tiny lizard was on the wall, but it didn't move.  Maybe it was too cold.




Later in the day, I saw these animals at another rest area.


9 comments:

diamondc said...

Pamela: It looks like a fun place to visit, I love the big bird, it is amazing.
I also love the duck? lifting weights what a hoot.
I hope you found many shells; I have many I have put in my garden.

Catherine

Vireya said...

That was amusing - I was expecting the "big bird observatory" to be somewhere where you could see millions of birds, rather than one big bird from which you could observe scenery. Or are there birds there at different times of the year, I wonder?

Toki said...

「What are big birds like?」
If continued to look at the photos with this kind of feeling…
Big! Too big!!😵
It's a huge Yanbarukuina.

Queeniepatch said...

That's a nice tourist attraction! Did you see a lot of birds when you were inside the big bird?

Pamela said...

Thank you, Toki! Here is the Wikipedia info on the Yanbaru kuina, or Okinawa Rail - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okinawa_rail

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Beautiful scenery

FlashinScissors said...

What an interesting place!
Great idea making the observatory bird shaped.
Hope your shoes are OK.
Lovely beach.
Barbara x

Jeanie said...

This looks like a beautiful spot. I love the big bird -- that had to be a terrific view. And of course the water.

Leonore Winterer said...

Wait, so is it in observatory shaped like a bird, or a place to observe birds? Maybe both?!