Saturday, September 12, 2015

Pottery Class

My friend from Japanese language class has been taking pottery classes.  She invited me to join her, so on Sunday I did.  The last time I played with clay was in high school art class, about 40 years ago!

I made a cup and a little plate (with the leftover from the cup), and my friend made three plates.  The teacher didn’t speak English, but it was okay.






 
The pottery has to dry and be baked, then glazed.  I chose a pale blue glaze.  When I take it home, I’ll drink my coffee from it.



After the class was over and we cleaned up, the teacher gave us a frozen strawberry filled with ice cream.




Another interesting Japanese experience.

5 comments:

Renee said...

What a fun experience! I love the additions of the leaves and stars on your cup. And the heart in the center of your plate is fun. Your friend's plates turned out great, too. I particularly love the one with the flower etched in the clay. Thank you so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

May i know where this place is? Id love to attend pottery clases

Pamela said...

It is in Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan.

Anonymous said...

Can you pleass tell me the specific address of the place? Thanks ^^

Pamela said...

Hope this helps - I looked up the email from my friend arranging the class back then and found this information:

Experience pottery class for one person:
3,200 yen material cost included (tax not included) + Announcements cost 52 yen + packing miscellaneous expenses 100 yen (contain 500 grams clay) .
Production time is about 3~4 hours.

The pottery teacher does not speak English, but she will demonstrate how to made.

Pottery class location close to North 24 subway station (kita nijuyo jo / North South Line/ Green Line)
near ARCS supermarket about 10 minutes to walk.
(Address: North 24 West 8 chome 1-7)


Pottery class FB:
https://www.facebook.com/toukoubousora?fref=ts

Pottery class Blog:
http://www.atelier-sora.jp/