Friday, April 15, 2016

Four Countries?

I've been studying Kanji more lately and it is so interesting!  It is also so difficult! 

I look at signs everywhere and had noticed these two kanji - 四国 I thought the first was four and the second was country. Four could be yon or shi. The second kanji might be kuni or koku.   


Finally, it dawned on me - Shikoku!  The island I live on.  Shikoku is the smallest of Japan's main islands and has four prefectures: Kagawa, Ehime, Kochi, and Tokushima.  The former names were Sanuki, Awa, Tosa, Iyo.  (The other major islands in Japan all have volcanoes, but there are no volcanoes on Shikoku.  Just an interesting fact - nothing to do with the kanji.)


Back to Kanji - Knowing my interest in learning more Kanji, my friend gave me this book.


I don't expect I'll ever learn to really read Japanese, but I do enjoy figuring out bits and pieces!



4 comments:

kiwikid said...

Good there are no volcanos!!! That books looks interesting for you.

manami said...

Ganbatte! I'm trying too!

Queeniepatch said...

It feels so good that have that light bulb experience, Aha! that kanji means XXX, and you suddenly understand and will remember forever, a difficult kanji.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

How funny. Been thinking of you with the earthquakes in the news. Hope all is well.
xx, Carol