Sunday, October 4, 2020

Death By Licorice

Do you prefer red licorice or the black? I really like black licorice, especially the black jelly beans sold around Easter time. I have been known to eat more than a few jelly beans in a sitting.  Unfortunately, I read a news story that said black licorice can kill you!  


A 54 year old construction worker in Massachusetts ate a bag and a half of black licorice every day for a few weeks and it caused his heart to stop. (I don't know how big the bags were, but that is a lot). Evidently, even a small amount of licorice can increase your blood pressure.  In addition, glycyrrhizic acid, found in black licorice and other foods and dietary supplements containing licorice root extract, can cause dangerously low potassium and imbalances in other minerals and electrolytes.  According to the Food and Drug Administration, eating as little as two ounces of black licorice a day for two weeks could cause a heart rhythm problem, especially for people over 40! (Yes, I'm over 40).  


I can't remember the last time I ate some black licorice.  It doesn't seem to be popular in Japan, but if I saw it in the store, I would probably buy it and eat it.  In small amounts now, though. 


What about you?  Do you eat black licorice? How much do you eat?

10 comments:

jacaranda said...

Every birthday and Christmas my husband is given a bag of licorice, may think twice about it now. I like raspberry licorice and he likes Licorice Allsorts....full of sugar!!!

Crafty Tokyo Mama said...

Black licorice is my favorite candy, so I am shocked to read this. I’ve never eaten it every day for two weeks, so I guess I’m safe, but will eat it in moderation from now on.
Recently I have seen German black licorice at Meijiya and the Aeon foreign food market. It’s in an orange package with a black cat on it. I always pick up a couple packs when I see it just so they keep it in stock. Hopefully you can find some near you!

kiwikid said...

I don't eat licorice but do like black jelly beans, strange but true!! That man must have loved licorice to eat so much.

Miranda said...

I actually can't stand black licorice or black jelly beans. Red is alright, but still not a favorite. Guess I'm safe from that, anyway!

Laura said...

I love black licorice but don't have it very often as I am on a blood thinner and what a lot of people don't realize is that black licorice can contribute towards blood clots forming as well. It's a real eye-opener.

Vireya said...

I probably only eat a couple of pieces of licorice a year, so I think I am safe. I do like it, but not enough to buy a bag full and eat it!

Queeniepatch said...

In Japan, it is hard to find liquorice and when I have brought some back from Sweden and treated my friends here, they thought they were treated badly. NO THANK YOU!
It is funny because kelp and algae boiled in sugar and soy sauce and then sprinkled with salt is a much loved savoury snack for rice dishes or drinks. I think the kelp and the liquorice is very similar in taste.

In Sweden there are two kinds, soft sweet ones and hard salty salmiak liquorice. You can have it as candy, mixed into chocolate or ice cream.
I have never heard of raspberry liquorice. Is it salty?

DUTA said...

I've heard about the danger of licorice. I like the stuff, but I'd better avoid eating it. As they say, better safe than sorrow.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Interesting read! I don't especially like licorice. No certain reason why. I have a bag of red licorice that I bought for Terry who likes it but is not eating it. Don't know why for that either. I love Jelly Beans but usually don't select the black ones. Back in Indiana I loved the Wakarusa Dime Store jelly beans. My favorite were the chocolate covered cherry flavor.
xx, Carol

Leonore Winterer said...

I think black licorice is very much a love-or-hate issues for most people, and I am firmly on the 'hate' side! Just can't stand the taste. I tried the red stuff when I was in the US - we have something that looks similar, but is called differently, and I was very disappointed to realize red licorice doesn't taste anything like I expected it to! So neither for me, I guess.