Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Work in Progress Wednesday - Pansy Stumpwork and Dogwood Blossom Cross Stitch

This is a project from a 2008 class in Raleigh, NC.  It was either with the Embroiderer's Guild or the Needlepoint Guild, I can't remember. I wasn't crazy about the teacher and didn't work on it for a long time after the class.  I have worked on it from time to time since coming to Japan. The last time I put it away, the main part was stitched and the petals stitched but not attached.  The thing keeping me from finishing was that I did not like the butterfly I had begun. The butterfly was to go in the center area.  I even started a second butterfly and didn't like it either.



I spent some time with it over the weekend and made the flowers and stitched a tiny bee over the mark where the butterfly was to be attached. I want to finish it to the box lid above.



I spent a little time working on this cross stitch afghan. It is a little difficult because the white flowers are on a white background.  The fabric has 14 threads to the inch, so the cross stitches are over one thread with two strands of floss. The front of the chart shows seven blocks stitched, not flowers in every block. I'm still working on the first block, so I guess I have a while before I need to decide how many blocks to stitch.




6 comments:

Vireya said...

Both projects look beautiful! I don't know if I would want to cover up "Pretty little thinfs" though - that makes me chuckle.

Queeniepatch said...

Stumpwork, oh, how lovely. You will have a good selection of boxes with stunning lids!
Be patient with that afghan, it WILL take time!

Lin said...

Your pansies are gorgeous! On the subject of butterflies - have you seen the work of Jane E Hall - absolutely stunning. xx

diamondc said...

Pamela: What a beautiful design, the pansy's are beautiful, your work is lovely.
I love dogwood flowers, I am looing forward to seeing the afghan finished.
Have a great day

Catherine

Janie said...

Good progress, thanks for sharing your design choices and thoughts.
Your pansies are beautiful and the dogwood project looks great.

Leonore Winterer said...

That stump work looks gorgeous! Love the cute tiny bee. It's good to get some progress into older WIPs. Great work on the afghan as well!