Saturday, July 16, 2022

Princess Yuriko, 99, Infected with the Coronavirus

 

Princess Yuriko with granddaughter Princess Akiko




Princess Yuriko, who celebrated her 99th birthday last month and is the oldest living member of the Japanese Imperial Family, tested positive this week for covid-19.  She is said to have mild symptoms of coughing and a slight fever.  


She is the widow of the late Prince Mikasa who died at the age of 100 in 2016, the aunt of Emperor Emeritus Akihito, and the grandmother of (my friend!) Princess Akiko


According to the Imperial Household Agency, Princess Yuriko exercises for about 30 minutes every day at her home at the Akasaka Estate in Tokyo. She reads newspapers and magazines and is interested in articles about both Japan and abroad.  She also enjoys watching baseball on television. I wish her a quick recovery.

6 comments:

Vireya said...

I hadn't seen the post about you meeting Princess Akiko before. That was amazing!

Best wishes to Princess Yuriko. She might be given the anti-viral medications my mother had, which allowed her to recover. They seem to work like magic.

Jeanie said...

I hope she recovers. It's extra hard on the elderly.

kiwikid said...

I hope she recovers completely.

Queeniepatch said...

I, too, wish Princess Yuriko a speedy recovery and no after effects.

Leonore Winterer said...

I hope she's not suffering too much and will recover soon - I'm sure she's getting the best possible medical care!

jacaranda said...

Best wishes for a speedy and healthy recovery for Princess Yuriko, she looks wonderful for age in the photo.