Saturday, July 2, 2022

Yukata Season


The rainy season is over where I live and the hot summer is now here. I've been noticing yukata and all the accessories on display these days. Yukata are the brightly colored, lightweight, unlined summer version of the traditional kimono. They are often worn at summer festivals and fireworks (hanabi). Wooden geta shoes or simpler flip flops are worn on the feet and some type of handbag or pouch is carried for the necessary belongings. Kanzashi hairpins are often worn in the hair.




Kimono are difficult (maybe impossible) to get dressed in by your self, but yukata are not so difficult. Here are some instructions from an onsen site.








Here are a couple of warnings about wearing a yukata:




I haven't heard anything yet about summer festivals in my area. I'm sure many people are hoping the festivals will resume safely.

7 comments:

Vireya said...

Tying the sash looks pretty complicated. I think I would need an expert to show me, I'm not sure I could achieve it from the written instructions. Have you worn one? Can you tie it yourself?

Queeniepatch said...

I can put on a yukata, thanks to instructions like these, and it is not that difficult. Try it once and you will probably master it!
The difficult thing for me is to look cool in the hot weather!

Toki said...

In old Japan, Yukata was also used as nightwear.
The material is cotton, which is gentle on the skin. The Obi around the wait is also soft and simple.

Whenever I wear a Yukata while traveling, I have something to bring with me.
It's a waist band.
Elastic and with Velcro.
It's is used in place or the string used in the above Yukata wearing method 3.
Very convenient.

Yukata and Kimono are similar, but there are many differences.
Many Japanese can wear a Yukata by themselves, but not a Kimono.
It's difficult to wear a Kimono. But there are some goods to help, so It's one of the ways to use them well.

I think It's hard to fold than to wear. I think It's good for Kimono, but It's difficulty.


roughterrain crane said...

I have not worn a yukata for a long time. It would be comfortable to wear it in the night.

Julie Fukuda said...

It sure has been a loooong time since I wore yukata, and I remember my four girls dressing up to go to festivals. I even remember my first son saying he was never going to wear a "dress", and then my fther-in-law showed up in yukata, and he changed his mind. Both the boys and the grandsons have jimbei.

Leonore Winterer said...

I think I could pull off wearing a yukata! The instructions are fun, I especially like the warnings.

Jeanie said...

Wow. Rick brought me a yukata years ago from Japan -- but he didn't include rules. I'll need to return to this and see what all I did wrong!