Tuesday, July 12, 2022

The Police are Surveilling the Yakuza, Who Are in Turn Following Them



Have you heard of an Apple AirTag device? I hadn't, so I looked it up on the internet after reading about the Yukuza using it.  Apparently these small devices are made to be used for locating personal belongings such as keys or wallets. The 3.2 centimeter in diameter device sends out a Bluetooth signal that can be detected by a nearby phone or device.  Using an iPhone app, the location of the device can be determined.


In Toyoto City, Aichi Prefecture, one of these devices was found on an unmarked police car which was being used to investigate Yakuza members and their drug crimes. The police allege one of the Yakuza crime organizations planted the device on the police car to track the movements of the investigators who were tracking them. 


There are no reports of other tracking devices being found, but the Aichi prefectural police department issued a directive to officers to sweep their vehicles to make sure no other suspicious items are attached to any cars. What will criminals think of next?

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

That's actually pretty smart thinking! I havne't heard of these, but I always lose my phone at home!

jacaranda said...

I had a look at my Apple phone, and there is an app on it called "find me". I have never noticed it before and fingers crossed haven't misplaced my phone in a long time. Sneaky criminals!!!

Julie Fukuda said...

Considering all the stuff I waste my day looking for, I'd have to have a lot of those devices. Keeping a notebook would probably be cheaper and work better.

kiwikid said...

The people who live on the wrong side of the law often seem to be one step ahead, don't they.

diamondc said...

Hello Pamela: Mike was in Law Enforcement for 36 years, he was amazed at what criminals do to get by with so much crime, this one is a new one for us.
I see on many programs that Law Enforcement uses mirrors on a stick to check the undercarriage to see if any devices are on the squads.
It's a shame the world in in such a turmoil of crimes of all kinds.
I was a Reserve Officer for 15 years it still amazes me what people will do to follow Law Enforcement.
Stay safe my dear friend.

Catherine

Leonore Winterer said...

I've read several reports of these air tags being used in all kinds of crime. If all criminals were stupid, the world would be a much safer place!