Sunday, May 14, 2017

Golden Week Adventures 2017 - A Temple, A Shrine, and A Man Drying Fish

One day I took a neighborhood walk - someone else's neighborhood.  Sometimes I just walk where ever the road goes.  I don't worry about getting lost because eventually I come out by some water and can find my way back. I often see interesting things, big and small.  



On this day, I happened upon a temple.  


The only English I saw was this little sentence saying the temple bell had been donated by Topeka, Kansas.  




I'm always interested in the offerings people leave.



As I continued down the road, I saw this man drying fish.  I asked if I could take his picture and he asked me the usual things - where am I from, why am I here, etc.  He told me the name of the fish is sanma.



After a few minutes with him, I walked on and saw this torii.  


Of course, I had to turn down the road to see what came next.  Surely this place has a name, but I don't know what it is.  To enter the grounds, you have to pass under all these torii.












I noticed many animal statues, I think they are foxes, but I'm not sure.  



Japan is so interesting and mysterious.

7 comments:

Janie said...

Good walk and photos. I like the man drying fish. I'm always interested in food prep. and recipes.
Have a great day!

kiwikid said...

There seem to be many interesting places to visit around you , those shrines often look like they have trees around them and look quite peaceful places. Is the fish dried in the sun?

Anonymous said...

Hi Pamela amazing,thankyou for sharing,lots of great pics xx

Queeniepatch said...

Lots to see on your walk.
If you want to read about the Inari shrines here is a link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inari_Ōkami

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Interesting. I especially like the first pic capturing the mountain in the back ground. Where I live, a few cities are border to border. One is Mishawaka Indiana and has a sister city in Japan. Shiojiri City, Nagano Prefecture, Japan. There is a Japanese garden in one of the parks by the river. Elementary school children in both cities exchange letters. Mentioning the gift from Kansas City made me wonder if there is the same type of connection.
xx, Carol

Journeymart said...

Really interesting with Good walk and photos. Thanks for sharing the experience.

Leonore Winterer said...

How interesting! I bet sometimes you are glad you don't understand everything yet, you'd never be able to have adventures like this otherwise!