Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Gokoku Shrine Lantern Festival

Late Saturday afternoon I took the train to Higashishizuoka, in search of Gokoku Shrine, where I heard there were many paper lanterns for Obon. I wanted to see the lanterns after dark, but I needed to go before dark to find where I was going.  




Not only were there lanterns but a whole festival at Gokoku Shrine!  There were many food booths and a stage with benches in front of it.  When I first arrived there were two children dancing on stage, followed by many older women dancing with fans and umbrellas.  After awhile it was too dark to take pictures, but there were many dances.  








Leading up to the temple were thousands of lit paper lanterns.  It was amazing to see them all.  






After the fireworks, I walked back to the train station and made my way home. I plan to visit this shrine again in the daytime another day.

7 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

The same place will change a lot after dark. Sepecially when the darkness is lit up with candles. I always notice this in winter when the fairy lights hidden in bushes and trees during daytime suddenly bring forth stars, animals and Santas at night.
Not only lanterns, you saw a great dance performance as well.

Anonymous said...

wow ,it wouldve been amazing to see this Pamela xx

Radka said...

How interesting, thank you :-)
xx

Melinda Forbes said...

There are so many celebrations in Japan... And so many beautiful places to visit. Thank you for sharing

Sheryl said...

Interesting post, such a lot of interesting and different things to see in Japan.

kiwikid said...

The lanterns look beautiful...wonderful there was something else on while you were there. The dancing ladies look very serious! Thank you for taking us with you.

crazyQstitcher said...

What an amazing display of lanterns and people entertaining. I'm pleased to have seen your old post.