Thursday, July 25, 2024

Zenko-ji Temple

Zenko-ji is about a 15 minute walk from Zenkoji Station, in Kofu. It is open from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm and admission to the main hall is 500 yen.


The main hall of Zenkoji is the largest wooden structure in Eastern Japan. The temple gate and statue of Amitabha Tathagata have been designated important cultural properties. 



This is the view from the gate.












I couldn't take photos inside, but it was interesting and very very old.  There were many cultural treasures.





3 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

I have been to Zenkoji in Nagano, but not to this namesake in Kofu. Both temples are important and share another feature, they have a line of seven ojizosans.
You had good weather on your visit. I bet it was cool inside the great hall, though.

Leonore Winterer said...

These giant wooden structures are so impressive. I remember seeing a couple in Kyoto that already seemed very big to me!

Toki said...

I also didn't know that there was a temple in Kofu called Zenkoji. Thank you for sharing so many photos.