Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Little Purse

Okuda San and I finished the last stitching project before we scrapbooked last week so it is time for a new project. You must understand I’m not a needlework teacher or designer, I’m just trying to share what I love to do with my neighbor. This little purse project took me two days start to finish, working most of the day each day to complete.  I didn’t know exactly what it would turn out to be, but I’m pleased with how it turned out. 

I started with a Charles Craft 28 count even weave fabric in pale blue.  It comes in a tube and is sold at places like JoAnn’s and Hobby Lobby. I bought it on sale at some point and it works well for projects like this.  I’ve used the eyelet and the Rhodes stitches together when making ornaments and thought it would be a good combination for this. They look nice and fit together. With that and the idea of making a little coin purse, I started.

Using 8 perle cotton in DMC #798 (blue) I worked the eyelets. This stitch is not difficult but is the most time consuming part of this project.


Next I filled in the spaces with Rhodes stitches done with DMC silver thread that comes on a spool. I had to hold the piece at an angle to get the silver to show.


I did some compensating stitches around the edges.  I wasn’t real concerned with these because they end up in the seams.


It’s hard to see in the photo, but I used pale blue Mill Hill seed beads at the stitch intersections. I left the part that would be covered by the flap unbeaded so I could later sew a snap to it.


For the lining I used a slick dragonfly fabric from MaryJo’s in Gastonia, NC. I have this same fabric in four color combinations, but the blue is my favorite. I pinned the right side of the fabric to the right side of the stitching.


Using small stitches with white sewing thread, I followed the outline of the stitching.

 I cut away the excess fabric and turned it right side out then closed the flap with some small hidden stitches.


Using cording I made with the same perle cotton as the stitching, I closed the sides.  The cording could have been a little tighter, but it’s okay.



I added two snaps to keep the little purse closed and it was finished.


We’ll start working on this project next week.  I think she will like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment