Saturday, February 25, 2017

The Japan Skills Olympics

My friend invited me to join her in Shizuoka City to attend the Japan Skills Olympics.  I had never heard of anything like this, so I was happy to say yes!  The venue was a huge exhihibition area in several buildings.  



Participants  compete in various areas, with everyone making the same thing in a set amount of time.  Observers could watch from outside the area.  Each area had officials to watch the making.  I'm not sure why - surely you can't cheat in a competition like this. Afterwards, the finished pieces were judged. I don't know what all of the things are, but I'll try to explain anyway.   Flash photos and talking to competetors was prohibited.



Wood Furniture Making 


 






Room Painting - finished.  


Glass Construction  - this competition was finished and was being judged when I saw it.




Screens or frames ?  I don't know. 


Tetami Floor - this competition was finished and was being judged when I saw it. 



Women's Suit Making




Fabric Repair - I don't know what the name of this is, but competitors used some chemicals to remove stains and repaint the fabric.




Jewelry Making 



Roof Construction




Stone Carving 



Tile 



Men's Suit Making  


My Favorite - Kimono Making  




I'm so glad I could attend this amazing event!


7 comments:

D1-D2 said...

This is very cool. I guess it is like les meilleurs ouvriers in France. Being recognized as the best in your field must really boost you up.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful way to make sure Japanese artisan skills continue!

Anonymous said...

wow Pamela so much to see,so any different trades,what an amazing day.

Sheryl said...

Interesting photos Pamela and what a great exhibition, so much to see and watch, looks difficult making kimonos sitting on the floor.

Leonore Winterer said...

That is pretty cool! I kind of wish we had something like that, it's great to see things other than sports and music recognized in such a way!

Wendy said...

that looks brilliant! i wish we had something like that.

kiwikid said...

What an interesting event, so good to see.