Sunday, February 19, 2017

Half-Way

I am now half-way through my scheduled eight rounds of chemotherapy.  I was side-tracked with breaking my arm and the surgery to repair it, but I am back on schedule again.  All in all I think I am holding up rather well.  Probably the worst thing is being so tired all the time.  I have been dealing with some other side effects, but they seem rather minor compared to other people I see at the hospital.  


I had x-rays and saw the wrist doctor last week. He said my bone is healing well.  I go to physical therapy three times a week and do exercises at home to improve the mobility.  It's getting better. 


I think I would be in big financial trouble if I had these medical issues in the US.  Here, I have national health insurance and pay 30% of the actual cost.  To see the orthopedic surgeon (the wrist doctor) I pay 220 yen per visit.  To see the oncologist, I am charged 630 yen.  The x-rays cost me 670 yen.  The physical therapy cost is 1330 yen for an hour appointment.  Blood tests are 1490 yen.  The is also a limit on how much I have to pay, so if I pay more than the limit, the insurance refunds money and it is direct deposited to my bank account.  I don't understand the formula, but every month I am getting money back.  


The hospital where I see all these medical professionals is just a 10 minute walk from my apartment.  This is the view of Mt. Fuji from the hospital entrance.



I am so fortunate and so thankful.


11 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

You mentioned before how much a medical procedure cost so I didn't check out the conversion of yen to dollars on this one. It would probably just depress me, as I have recently had surgery and am waiting for the bills to continue to roll in. But I'm super happy for you and the medical care you have been given at a reasonable cost. I hope the next weeks of chemo fly by for you.
xx, Carol

Anonymous said...

Hi Pamela glad you are going so well with it all,my mum is due to have her 3rd round in just over a week.
I love the view from the hospital entrance,i wish you all the best my friend.

NADINE said...

I'm so happy, reading these good news, Pam, and I do hope your next chemo sessions will be OK, as well as your wrist... All the best to you, my friend !

XOXOXO
Nadine

Beth in IL said...

Glad all seems to be going well.

kiwikid said...

So good to hear you are going well with your treatment, and wonderful to hear your wrist is healing. Good the medical system is not going to bankrupt you over there!! That is a magnificent view of the mountain.

chitra said...

Best wishes for your health and prosperity!

Lin said...

The medical system there sounds very efficient and reasonable. Glad everything is going well for you. xx

Queeniepatch said...

I think Japan has excellent medical care. It is not expensive (if you are covered by the national health insurance) and it is efficient, friendly/polite and speedy.
I hope though, that soon you will no longer need it. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Leonore Winterer said...

I don't want to get all political here, but I honestly think that each country where having medical problems can drive you into bankruptcy is deeply broken on some level...so glad to here your doing well, both with the costs and, more importantly, your health!

Von said...

Glad you're getting such excellent care without breaking the bank, Pamela! Surely that wonderful view of Mt. Fuji helps in the healing. :)

Glenda said...

Hi Pamela my son and his family lived at Kamakura and had the same view of Fiji San but not so close. What a stunning photo. Cheers Glenda