Thursday, September 27, 2018

Relay For Life Japan 2018 - Nagaizumi

At the Relay for Life event in Shizuoka, I met many people and was invited to participate in another event.  I didn't know where this place was located, but was given train directions, then picked up at the station and driven to the event site.  The Ippo Ippo team took good care of me all weekend (yes, this was an overnight event!) 


Upon arrival, survivors were invited to put a hand print on a banner.



It was a rainy weekend, but there was a big covered open air area where each team had a space to hang out or sell things to benefit RFLJ.







The event started with an opening ceremony, then the first lap was the survivors lap. There were several participants who were hearing or vision impaired, and there were interpreters and mobility help.












This artist drew pictures of people.





When it got dark, the luminaries were lit.






The empty table, for the people who could no longer attend.



Everyone was very kind.  I am so thankful for new friends.



I didn't take pictures of where we slept, but each team had big rooms with futons to sleep.  We stayed up late and got up early! It was raining in the morning, but no one seemed to mind.




I wasn't surprised that there was rajio taiso after breakfast.





I hope they invite me back next year!


7 comments:

Janie said...

Wow! It looks like a supportive, encouraging event.
And they seem to have thought of everything!

Vireya said...

It must touch your heart that they went to such trouble to help you get there, and made you so welcome.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pamela wow what a fun event,great pics xx

Julie said...

A fabulous event. I love the personal handprint at entry, that's so wonderful.

rosey175 said...

How nice to be invited to this one too! I like the hand prints. Your new portrait looks great~

Jeanie said...

This is such a powerful, important and valuable event. I love the banner and all the touches they added to make this more than a race but a real experience.

Leonore Winterer said...

What a fun event for a great cause! I love that picture of you. I bet the artist had fun drawing someone non-Japanese too!