Sunday, November 11, 2018

Memorial Service for Eye Glasses




In Izumo, Shimane Prefecture, a memorial service for old eye glasses is held at the Ichibata temple. Every year for the past 30 years, this service has been held on November 8th.  People come to this temple to pray for relief from eye problems. This year about 200 pairs of glasses were collected at the service, which will be donated to people in India in need of eyeglasses. 


When I lived in the US, I donated old glasses to the Lion's Club. What do you do with your old eyeglasses?

8 comments:

Vireya said...

I just get new lenses put in them and keep wearing them! My glasses are about 20 years old now. I'll be sad if they break or something happens to them. I haven't found any I like as much since.

Mia said...

I still have my first glasses, Pamela. But I really did not know about this service. It seems great, but there is not such a service in Greece. Kisses, my friend.

Julie said...

A local optician has a large box for patients to recycle their old pairs of glasses when they collect the new ones, ours go in there.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Pamela I donated my old glasses to the Salvation Army ,interesting that Japan hold a service,thankyou for sharing.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

We donate to the Lions Club too. The Japanese honor so many things. Is there a place they donate the glasses after the cremony?

kiwikid said...

That is an interesting service, I can remember one collection years ago for old,glasses and they went to Fiji,I try and keep my glasses these days and just get new lenses.

Queeniepatch said...

When I change to new lenses, and frames, I keep the old pair for emergencies (earthquakes etc). Older than that I will toss away, but your post got me thinking, in future I will donate them to charity in the UK or Sweden.

Leonore Winterer said...

This sounds very Japanese, but like a great idea! I'm still on my first pair of glasses (I don't need them a lot) but I'll definitely think about donating them when I get a new pair.