Saturday, June 8, 2019

I Know People Are Watching Me

As I was walking to work yesterday, I saw a woman I didn't know who was standing next to a drink vending machine.  She smiled at me and said, "Hayai desu ne."  (You're early, aren't you?)  I said, Hai, kyo wa hayai desu. (Yes, I'm early today.) 


At first, this doesn't seem like a strange thing.  The strange thing is that on Fridays my first class is an hour earlier than on the other days, so I leave earlier than the other days.  That woman must have seen me walking my usual route other days, so she knew I was passing by an hour earlier. 


In the US, I would have been creeped out, knowing someone was paying attention to my comings and goings, but not here. I know people are watching me. They can see that I'm not Japanese and are probably wondering why I'm here and what I am doing. They are always friendly and seem happy to interact with me. I feel so fortunate to be here in Japan.

7 comments:

Janie said...

Yes, by your schedule people get to know you. On our walks we see other people who live in the neighborhood and wave or some days make light talk. Friendliness goes a long way.

Queeniepatch said...

From now on YOU might be spotting this woman!
Many people in Japan have routines and it is possible to meet the same person every day if you are out and about regularly at the same time.
Foreigners in Japan are quite outstanding so we can easily be spotted even in a crowd.

kiwikid said...

Kind of nice she is looking out for you.

jacaranda said...

It is nice to be noticed in a nice way and a lovely way to start the day by saying good morning or hello.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Gee, I don't think I would be creeped out here, but then I live in a more rural area. I often speak to those that go by. The old man that rides his bike every evening. The young girl that jogs every evening while her leashed dog jogs along. The young man who started walking his baby in a stroller every evening but now they walk by holding hands. Sometimes I don't see them for a while and mention it to them when I DO. It's nice to converse. I hope they appreciate that I watch them.
xx, Carol

Julie said...

I am sure that she was feeling happy that you interacted with her in her own language. Maybe a new friend has been found, I wonder if she likes crafting?

Leonore Winterer said...

It's good to know that behind all that politeness, the Japanese are just as curious as the rest of us!