Saturday, June 19, 2021

Bakkai Train Station - Hokkaido




This is another interesting secluded train station in Japan.  It is located in Wakkanai, Hokkaido and is the northernmost station in Japan.  It was opened June 25, 1924. The station building is made completely of wood and is an unstaffed station. It has been used as a movie location because of its "snowy beauty".  You can reach it on the Soya Main JR Hokkaido Line, but be warned that if you visit in the winter, you should be prepared for a blizzard.


Hokkaido

6 comments:

Vireya said...

That is a long way north!

Queeniepatch said...

I had to take out the map to see it, and now I am wondering if Wakkanai station is not further north than Bakkai. The latter is of course considerably smaller and more secluded, though. I don't think I'd like to be stranded there in a blizzard.

Jeanie said...

These are lovely photos. I can see why the snowy beauty would make for a good film setting!

diamondc said...

Pamela: Interesting, information, I am a train nut, I always count the cars and love the sound of the horn, many people hate the horn but a train is still a part of the past that is being used.

Catherine

Leonore Winterer said...

I feel like I've heard about this place before...maybe in a Manga I recently read? I think they talked about going to the northernmost point of the island.

kiwikid said...

Looks great in the snow.