Saturday, June 26, 2021

Tokyo 2020/2021 Olympics Torch Relay - Shizuoka Prefecture

The original plan was for the Olympic Torch Run to pass through all 47 prefectures last year. Then came the pandemic.  The Olympics, including the Torch Run, were postponed for a year.  This year some prefectures didn't want the Torch Run because people would crowd in close to see it and potentially transmit the virus. It didn't go as originally planned, but it did go on. June 23 - 25 were the three days for it to pass through Shizuoka Prefecture. 



Thursday morning, I went to watch it.  The route was just a 20 minute walk from my apartment. 



I got to the route about an hour early because I thought it might be crowded.  It was not at all crowded where I was, which was near the #7 exhange. 




There were a lot of helicopters.  I don't know if they were media or the Self Defense Forces or something else.




There were tons of police officers, on foot and on motorcycles.



This bus carried the torch runners and dropped them off at the exchanges.





She got off the bus and waited for the fire from the previous runner. Each runner covered 200 meters.



The runners were surrounded by police.  There were more police than spectators.




Here's the fire exchange. It was done very slowly, I think for photos taken from the van.







And off she goes...



I was a little concerned about going because I had seen the crowds in other prefectures on the news, but it was not crowded, everyone wore masks and there were volunteers with signs to stay distanced and no shouting allowed. I think it was pretty safe.



I'm glad I could see it in person.

8 comments:

diamondc said...

Hi Pamela: It is a sight to see, back in the 80s and 90s I was a Reserve Officer with the Buffalo Police Dept.
Our Chief Of Police was a Torch carrier for Special Olympics in 1991 it was a fun evening we were able to run along with him.
Very exciting for me.

Catherine

Vireya said...

That does look very safe. Plenty of room to keep your distance, as well as get a good view without crowds in the way.

Lyn Warner said...

Great experience for you to see it, and without crowds.

Jeanie said...

I'm so glad you were able to see something so rare as this and still feel safe. That's really pretty exciting!

kiwikid said...

Good you were able to go and have a look and also good it was not crowded.

Queeniepatch said...

Well organised and it will be a memory for life for you in many ways. So glad you managed to see it.

jacaranda said...

Organisation looked very good. When the Commonwealth Games Torch Relay came to Melbourne, we watched it coming over the Westgate Bridge. Memories of the Tokyo Games will be something you will remember.

Leonore Winterer said...

I love this, the Olympic fire is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful traditions in all of sports. And as long as people keep the distance and wear mask, a pretty safe thing to watch, I'd say!