Thursday, December 16, 2021

Kumano Jinja Shrine - Kawagoe

After visiting Umi-Shibaura Station, I continued on the train to Kawagoe, Saitama. After getting off the train and consulting with the tourist information counter, I walked down a shopping street (not stopping because it was a little crowded and I wanted to avoid getting too close to anyone).  


My first stop was Kumano Jinja Shrine. It was a gorgeous warm fall day.




On both sides of the main entrance walkway are paths with stones sticking up. You are supposed to walk across them without shoes.  I didn't do it here, but have at other places. It's uncomfortable and I've forgotten the reason for doing it.



I've also done this before, going through the hoop one way and another, then straight ahead to the main shrine building. I wrote about it at another shrine visit here.









It's a fairly large shrine, with many interesting things to look at.











I'll have more to say about Kawagoe soon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The unpleasant stone protrusion is the stone that pushes the
“ツボ on the sole of the foot”.
It is believed that the soles of the feet are filled with nerves related to internal organs.
So if you go barefoot and walk on the stone road, the acupoints will be stimulate and it seems to be good for your health. Especially the part that feels pain is said to have a problem and stimulates or massages.

Queeniepatch said...

Toki-san is right - the stones are for a 'health walk'. You stimulate the acupressure points of your soles and the body starts healing itself.
If I remember correctly, when I visited this shrine there was a 'Love Theme' and couples could ask God to bless their union. In your picture I can see a lot of heart shaped 'ema' wooden tablets hanging on the strings.
There was also a fair ground with fishing rods where you could try to get a stuffed chirimen silk fish doll on the hook.
You were blessed with lovely sunshine.
Kawagoe shopping street is ALWAYS crowded.

diamondc said...

Pamela: Very interesting tour, I would love to walk across the stones, I have a foot roller that I use to relax my feet it feels so good, made out of wood.
The traditions in japan are so beautiful, its a shame many of our traditions in the USA are being ripped away from us nowadays.


Merry Christmas
Catherine

Jeanie said...

I am so thrilled you were able to get out and take a little trip after so many months of being home. This looks like a wonderful spot. I'd love to see this spot and so many others I missed on my first trip to Japan.

Vireya said...

Such an interesting place! And the comments explaining the stone walk are interesting.

The loops through the hoop are an interesting idea, too. I'd like to be able to leave behind the things that have been troubling me for the last 6 months!

Leonore Winterer said...

Looks like a lot of people are taking advantage of being able to travel again! Glad you enjoyed your trip to the shrine.