Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Hot Weather Words

The Japanese word for hot, as in hot weather, is atsui. The Japanese government has decided that there are other words for when it is hotter than atsui. I love learning new words!  


According to the Japan Meteorological Agency, which is part of the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport, and Tourism, if the temperature rises above 35 degrees Celsius or 95 degrees Fahrenheit, the day is a moushobi, or ferocious heat day. If the overnight low is still above 25C or 77F, it is a nettaiya, or tropical night. 




If temperatures get higher than that, the Japan Weather Association, a non-governmental meteorological association takes over with other new terms. Days with a high temperature of over 40C or 104F are kokushobi or cruel heat days. Nights that are hotter than nettaiya, where the overnight low doesn't go below 30C or 86F are known as chounettaiya or super tropical night. 




It seems to be getting hotter everywhere on earth. Take care of yourself and others! My recommendation is kakigori.



4 comments:

Vireya said...

It is minus 3 outside here, and everything is covered in ice. But I am still glad it isn't one of those moushobi or kokushobi days!

Jeanie said...

I think we are the only place where it is unseasonably cool. I don't want the 90s or 100s, but I could use with something a little warmer than 65! I love all these words!

Leonore Winterer said...

I hope we won't get kokushobi or chounettaiya here anytime soon!

Diane-crewe said...

I wish we had some words like the… here in the UK we are having record temperatures EVERY year damed hot is the word choice for toad ! Lol