Saturday, August 13, 2022

Princess Kako Goes to Girl Scout Camp

I was a girl scout practically my whole life - all through grade school and high school, attending camp as a camper every summer, working at girl scout summer camps when I was in college, attending a camp event in Mexico and visiting the international center in London, volunteering as a leader after that, and later working for a Girl Scout Council. Since moving to Japan, I have become fascinated with the Imperial Family. When I read about Princess Kako going to Girl Scout camp in Japan, of course I was interested. 


Last weekend, Princess Kako, who is the younger daughter of the Crown Prince and Crown Princess and the niece of the Emperor and Emperess, attended the 100th anniversary event of the Girl Scouts of Japan. The event was held at the International Togakushi Campsite in Myoko-Togakushi renzan National Park in Nagano. 


About 90 junior high and high school students from across Japan participated in the event. Princess Kako praised the participants who gave reports on themes such as gender equality.  In the evening she lit the campfire and sang with the scouts. I think it must have been thrilling for the participants at this event.






3 comments:

Vireya said...

They have (or used to have) different names here. I was a Brownie, then a Girl Guide. I really enjoyed both.

jacaranda said...

I also was a Brownie, Girl Guide and a Cub Scout (boys) leader. My parents and brother were also involved in the Scouting and Guiding movement. It taught me lots of things and I also enjoyed the experience.

Leonore Winterer said...

Girl (or boy) scouts aren't as big a thing here, but I always thought it looked like fun! Probably even more so when a proper princess is visiting.