Thursday, July 6, 2023

Inconveniences of Traveling in Japan According to Foreign Tourists

The travel website Good Luck Trip recently conducted an online survey, asking people who have visited Japan what kind of inconveniences or problems they encountered. Of the 891 responses (106 using English, 102 Korean, 103 simplified Chinese, and 580 traditional Chinese), the website has released the top ten results. 


1. Wi-Fi environment (31.5% of respondents) 

2. Not being able to communicate with facility staff (20.2%) 

3. Lack of non-Japanese signage and difficulty understanding it (17.5%) 

4. Difficulties using public transportation (approximately 16%) 

5. Lack of trash cans (approximately 16%) 

6. Difficulty using mobile payment apps (approximately 15%) 

7. Difficulty using credit/debit cards (approximately 15%) 

8. Lack of places to smoke/understanding where to smoke (approximately 14%) 

9. Exchanging currency (approximately 14%) 

10. Discount train/subway tickets (approximately 9%)


Granted, I don't know where the respondents to this survey came from or what their travel experience has been, but I may have responded differently. Here is what I think about these answers:  


Wi-Fi seems to always be available in hotels and convenience stores, but free wi-fi isn't as available in other places as in the US and Europe. I have a rental pocket wi-fi gadget, so public free wi-fi hasn't bothered me. Many airports offer rental pocket wi-fi gadgets on a short term basis. If a tourist is used to free wi-fi everywhere, Japan's lack of it would be a surprise.


Lack of English skills in facilty staff. In cities and many tourist areas this hasn't been a problem.  Even in out of the way places, people try to express the basics in English. Also, Google Translate is very helpful. I would not consider this a problem.  Even when I broke my arm when I was vacationing in Okinawa and the hospital staff there didn't speak English, I didn't think it was a problem. 


Lack of non-Japanese signage and difficulty understanding it. In cities and most tourist areas this hasn't been a problem. In hotel rooms, it might be difficult to figure out the kanji signage (such as how to use the television or air conditioner), but again, Google Translate is very helpful. Museums often have only basic signage in English and none in other languages, but offer audio headsets or other language help. 


Difficulties using public transportation.  I would disagree with this for the most part. There are always picture signs for how to board and pay for the bus. It is very easy to buy local train tickets by machine.  The one thing I have found difficult is buying a shinkansen (bullet train) ticket from a machine. Most places have a person who can sell the ticket, but twice in Tokyo, there were only machines, and that would have been difficult to do on my own. 


Lack of trash cans. This is totally true, but not a problem.  In Japan you are expected to take your trash home with you.  Many/most drink machines have a place to put your empty PET bottle. 


Difficulty using mobile payment apps. This has not been a problem for me because I don't use any mobile payment apps. Many people have told me they love using payment apps, but I don't have a phone and I am happy to use cash for most everything. 


Difficulty using credit/debit cards. I don't use credit cards for day to day purchases (like I did in the US). If I buy something online or something big, like a plane ticket, I use a credit card. 


Lack of places to smoke/understanding where to smoke. I don't smoke, so I don't pay attention to where smoking is allowed. In large train stations and airports, I see glassed in areas for smoking. 


Exchanging currency. This might be a problem for foreign tourists.  I have seen currency exchange places in airports and some hotels, but since I live here and deal with yen, I don't look for where to exchange currency. 


Discount train/subway tickets. Travel/tourist websites offer this kind of information. Also, tourist information places in or near train stations can tell you about these things. Some places have an all day unlimited use ticket or a discounted weekend ticket.


Even with some minor inconveniences, Japan is still the best! Service people are incredible and there is not the culture of tipping in Japan. 


If you have been to Japan, did you have any problems or inconveniences? What about in other countries?

4 comments:

Toki said...

These answers are similar to what I feel when I travel abroad.
But I thought it was natural it was different from Japan where I live.

Jeanie said...

I'm wondering if Americans answered this. Strikes me that we never seem to learn much of the language (even enough to try) and no one knows how to care for their own litter. I never had trouble with currency exchange or credit cards or even people speaking English in most of the places I visited, but most of those were larger cities or towns.

Queeniepatch said...

I personally find little trouble travelling in Japan but must agree that the Wi-Fi coverage, especially free Wi-Fi, is insufficient compared to other countries and might well cause trouble.

If I were to give advice to Swedish friends on their first visit to Japan, I would point out that cash payment is still the only option in many places. Therefore, they need to prepare yen in advance or look for 7-Elevens or post offices to be able to withdraw cash from a foreign credit card.

I would also advise any visitor to speak English slowly, and clearly, and use simple words, e.g. 'water please' instead of 'We are absolutely parched. Would you be so kind as to serve us some really cold water, please? Is the tap water safe to drink here? If so, we'd opt for that, if not, we'd prefer mineral water, but it has to be still, we do not wish for sparkling.'

Leonore Winterer said...

The only one of these I would agree with is the lack of trash cans - when you are a tourist and out exploring all day, it can be a little annoying to carry your trash with you all the time! Plus, the hotels we were staying in had pretty small trash cans too. I'd also add 'no place to sit' to that list - I don't think I've seen a single bench in Tokyo!
We didn't have any issues with the wifi or language, and just got Yen cash from the ATM.