Saturday, July 8, 2023

New Japanese Luxury Fruit from Hokkaido - Lemon Melon

 



Hokkaido farmers have developed a totally new fruit that is sweet like a melon but slightly sour like a lemon. The new fruit is called the Lemon Melon and is being grown by five farmers in Furano, Hokkaido. The Japanese horticulture company Suntory Flowers developed the fruit and have been improving it over the last five years. This is the first year that the fruit is being offered for sale. About 3,800 melons are expected to be sold in Sapporo supermarkets through the end of August for about 3,200 yen each. 


I'm not a fan of melon (other than ripe red watermelon), and 3,200 yen each seems a little pricey. What do you think about the new luxury fruit?  Would you buy it?

5 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

I like the taste of melons but unfortunately I have an allergy and can't eat them. I consume a little bit of lemon every day.
I think the taste combination sounds interesting and it would be nice to see if I can eat Lemon Melon without retching. I am not so sure I'd like to spend 3200 yen on a 'trial' though!

diamondc said...

Hello Pamela: This sounds like a yummy fruit, I would give one a try, the price would be a problem for some people, maybe after selling many the price will come down.

Catherine

Toki said...

Very interesting taste.
However, melons other than this lemon flavor are also expensive and hard to buy in Japan.🍈🍋

Jeanie said...

I'd want to taste it before I bought it -- especially at that price.

Leonore Winterer said...

I wouldn't buy it for that price, but if it proves popular, I'm sure production will increase and prices go down. Maybe we can try it in a couple years!