Sunday, March 17, 2024

Kyoto Costume Museum

The last time I was in Kyoto, The Costume Museum was closed, maybe for exhibit change.  I can't remember. On my way home from Osaka and Nara, I decided to make a short stop to visit it.  The museum is about a 15 minute walk from Kyoto Station. The Tale of Genji exhibit was fabulous! It was well worth the 800 yen admission (recently raised from 500 yen). The miniature detail is absolutely fabulous! I am fascinated by the story and have downloaded the English version of the book to my Librivox, so I can listen to it while I stitch.




The exhibit is like a giant doll house with the different rooms telling the story. The entire "house" is bigger than my apartment!

































































This exhibit is fascinating.  If you go to Kyoto, I highly recommend it!

8 comments:

Sun City Stitcher said...

All I can say is WOW! Glad you had a chance to see it up close.

Queeniepatch said...

What a fantastic exhibition! The attention to detail is incredible. Thank you so much for sharing this with your blog readers.

Vireya said...

What an amazing display!

Jeanie said...

I think i"d absolutely adore this exhibition. The costumes are fabulous and your photos are terrific too. What good timing to be able to see this!

Toki said...

It's worth seeing and it's very nice.😆
NHK, which currently serves as Japan’s national television, spends about a year on the theme of Murasaki-Shikibu, the author of The Tale of Genji, and has been making a drama about his life for about 45 minutes every Sunday.
I'm a big fan of The Tale of Genji.😍It's a complicated but wonderful story because it involves historical background and politics, and there are many similar names.
I looked at the photo you introduced and wondered if was that scene, I got excited imagining that.
Thank you Pamela.🙌

Mylene said...

Such great displays, WOW!

Hena Tayeb said...

Absolutely stunning.

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh wow! This looks like a museum that is popular with kids and adults alike. I sent the link to Steffi, she's coming to Japan again this fall.