Saturday, March 23, 2024

Thursday's Earthquake

 


Thursday, I was in Gunma Prefecture, where it says Gunma Ken on the map above. I got off the train in Tomioka at 9:00 am and walked about 15 minutes to the Tomioka Silk Mill (a full post in a few days).  When I arrived at the Silk Mill entry everyone was talking about the "jishin" (earthquake) and all the visitors had to stand in an open area. I didn't feel anything when I was walking, but when I checked the JMA website (above) later, I found out the earthquake measured a 4 where I was and I didn't feel anything! After a few minutes, the Silk Mill officials gave the all clear and visitors could continue as before.  An earthquake could happen anytime.

5 comments:

diamondc said...

Pamela: Sounds scary to me, I hope all is well with you, looking forward to seeing your post about the Silk Mill.

Catherine☘️

Jeanie said...

I suppose one gets used to it but it's a little disconcerting.

Queeniepatch said...

Yes, it is scary that we don't notice earth tremors easily when we are moving. Sit still and the world shakes, though!

Toki said...

Even in area where the seismic intensity of an earthquake is said to be 4 , there are difference in the experience. Earthquake are greatly affected by the type of earthquake and the quality of the land where you were when the earthquake occurred.
Also, even if you live in the same area , the damage can vary depending on the floor plan and the location of furniture. Even if you went to Gunma and encountered an earthquake, I'm glad you were safe.😌

Leonore Winterer said...

I feel you. We've had some (minor) earthquakes before where I live, and while everyone was talking about it, I didn't feel a thing! How do you miss an earthquake?!