Thursday, March 14, 2024

Kasugataisha Shrine in Nara Park

Around 1300 years ago when the original capital of Japan was Nara, the Takemikazuchi no mikoto came from Kashima Shrine in what is now Ibaraki Prefecture to dwell on the summit of Mt. Mikasa for the prosperity of the nation and happiness of the people. In November 768,  political leader Fujiwara no Nagate, on the orders of Empress Shotoku, built great buildings where the shrine is now located. This was the start of Kasugataisha. In December 1998, Kasugataisha and the Kaugayama Primeval Forest were designated as part of the "Historic Monuments of Ancient Nara"  UNESCO World Heritage Site.



I had been to Nara Park years ago, but not to this shrine.  This was an interesting place for an early morning walk, quiet with few people but many deer.



There are 3,000 donated stone lanterns at the shrine.




Along the way, I saw this little cafe/tea room and the Botanical Garden, but it was too early for them to be open.

















I recognize this sign because I have seen similar ones at other shrines.  It is about the unlucky years. The ages for women are on the left and the men on the right.






A shrine maiden or young Shinto priestess is often seen doing various jobs at the shrine such as selling the amulets or as here, sweeping the walkway.






This seemed to be a one way path, so I turned around and went the other way.







It was nice to walk around the shrine area early in the morning and meet so few people.

4 comments:

Jeanie said...

Those stone lanterns are wonderful and I love the deer encounter. It made me smile to see there is a snack bar at the shrine. At least, I think that's what it was.

Queeniepatch said...

Despite all the buildings and stone lanterns, you really feel that you are deep in a forest.

Toki said...

When I went to Nara before, I couldn't go to Kasugataisha shrine because of my schedule that day.😥 That's why I envy you. Thank you for introducing me to so many photos.

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh, I've been to this one! How fun to rediscover it through your pictures.