Thursday, February 11, 2021

Foundation Day in Japan

Today is a national holiday in Japan, to celebrate the founding of Japan. It marks the day, according to legend, that Emperor Jimmu founded Japan in 660 BC. Emperor Jimmu is considered the direct descendant of the Japanese sun goddess Ameterasu. The Japanese Monarchy is the oldest of any in the world. The national holiday was previously known as Empire Day, and renamed Foundation Day in 1966. 


So, I have the day off from work today. I also have tomorrow off from work because the company where I work added another day to make a four day weekend for the employees.  I think I'll call tomorrow Abraham Lincoln's birthday, even though Lincoln was not born in Japan.  If not for the pandemic, I would take a trip somewhere in Japan. Until it is safe to travel again, I'm pretty happy staying home and stitching. What are your weekend plans?


7 comments:

kiwikid said...

Good idea to stay home and be safe. My weekend is a sewing group UFO day Saturday and family visiting Sunday.

Queeniepatch said...

Although many in Japan have a holiday today, I have two jobs to juggle, but I hope to have time for stitching, too.

DUTA said...

The slogan to be followed, even if there's no lockdown: 'Stay home, stay safe, stay alive".

Vireya said...

Hope you have had a happy Foundation Day, and enjoy the rest of your long weekend.

jacaranda said...

Enjoy your days off from work. Relax and I hope your Foundation Day was a happy day.

Jeanie said...

Happy Long Weekend! That's very fun. No weekend plans -- still isolating!

Leonore Winterer said...

That's nice of your company to add another holiday - hope you mad great use of that extra long weekend!