Thursday, February 18, 2021

Vending Machine Covid Tests

 It seems like you can get anything from a vending machine in Japan - toilet paper,


umbrellas,


alcohol,


batteries,


cigarettes,



hot soups, 


oranges,



even cold drinks.


Now, in Tokyo and Yokohama, you can buy a covid-19 test. Machines in Shibuya, Ueno, Shinagawa, and Chiyoda are offering Takenoko ENT Clinic's at-home saliva PCR test kits for 4,500 yen.






All you have to do after purchasing the kit is spit into the small round container, splash in a drop or two of the salt water solution, pour the contents into the cylindrical tube and sent it off in the postage-paid envelope provided.  The company claims results will be available within 24 hours of receiving the sample and you will be notified of the results by email. 


Machines can be found at these locations:


  • 5-4-19 Osaki, Shinagawa
  • Jyomyoin Temple, 2-6-4 Ueno-Sakuragi, Taito
  • Shinbu Sakiya Ramen, 2-10-3 Dogenzaka, Shibuya
  • Kitanorimonocho Parking, 16 Kanda-Kitanorimonocho, Chiyoda
  • Ofune Station-front Building, 1-1-1 Kasama, Sakae, Yokohama

 

What do you think of that?

10 comments:

kiwikid said...

I think here we only get cold drinks in vending machines! I haven't seen cigarettes in vending machines for years, but maybe they are still in pubs I don't know. The vending machine makes for am easy way to get tested, no waiting in lines with every one else.

Vireya said...

Having to post it off is the weak point in that system. Here the postal system has slowed to a crawl in the last year, possibly due to lack of flights. Letters seem to take at least a week to arrive anywhere in the country. So it would be much quicker to just go a free testing site, and know that you would have your results in less than 24 hours, that rely on a mail-based test.

DUTA said...

Sounds great!
Is 4500 yen expensive? How much is it in us dollars?

Pamela said...

Today, it is about $42.51

Queeniepatch said...

This is news to me! I live within walking distance of the first address, but I don't think I will splash out that sort of money for a test. Would you?

jacaranda said...

Not sure how I feel about this. I would rather sit in a waiting line in my car for a few hours, reading a book or stitching while waiting to be tested. Fingers crossed, I have only had to have one Covid test, don't wish to have another unless it is needed.
I have had some fabulous meals out of vending machines on my trips to Japan.

Lauriejo said...

One of memorable things from my son's high school trip to Japan was that you could get anything from a vending machine. Well that, and some of the unusual plumbing in the hotel bathrooms. LOL that's a high school boy for you. I don't think I would want to get a medical test from a machine though. I don't even use the blood pressure machines.

diamondc said...

Pamela: Wow that is amazing, I am not sure about the postal delivery anywhere, I would prefer going to a clinic, but that is just me.
Have a lovely day.

Catherine

Jeanie said...

I think if the tests are effective it is a good idea but it depends on the test and the lab. I'm trying to figure out 4500 yen and how much that is.

Leonore Winterer said...

I miss the drink vending machines from Japan...not sure I'd buy one of the Covid tests, but I can see the appeal. If you're concerned you might be infected, you can just get a test without having to be in contact with other people.